Thursday 6 October 2011

Project 365: A blurb

I decided to start working on my own Project 365 about a month ago. For those of you who don't know, the idea is to shoot one photo per day for a whole year. I've known about it and thought it would be fun to do for a long time - so long that I don't even remember where I first heard about it! But now that I've got a smart phone it makes it so much easier. The link above has a lot of reasons why you should do it, but in my month so far I've already noticed the following things:

  • I thought it would be a good mini-diary, but it's proving to be even better than I thought it would be. I always mean to keep a journal but never remember to write things down, and having even just one photo is an excellent reminder of what happened that day.
  • It's actually a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I've already missed 3 or 4 days, but I'm mainly happy at this point that I haven't given up yet.
  • Some days in my life are really boring! Having a 9-5 office job doesn't always lend itself to amazing photo opportunities. On the other hand, hopefully I'll become more observant and more aware of the little awesome things around me in my every day life.
  • Having said that, there are some days when there are so many photo opportunities that it takes a very long time to choose which photo to include!
  • The difference in quality between my phone's camera and my little point-and-shoot is a lot bigger than I realised.
  • I'm not very good at using my camera, but I'm learning. Until I started doing this, I never saw any visible difference in photo quality between manually setting options and using the camera's presets, but I'm actually starting to use it well enough that I can take better photos by choosing the settings.
  • I made up a rule that I'd only use photos that I took myself, but (rather naively) didn't realise how big an impact that would have on actually being in the photos! I'm going to have to get better at aiming my camera at my own face.
I'm going to start posting up my photos in batches of a week, starting with the month or so backlog that I've got - hopefully there will be a noticeable difference in the quality of the photos between Day 1 and Day 365!

No comments:

Post a Comment