Saturday 5 April 2014

Project 365: A wrap up - Around the world

Day 22
This is part three of my Project 365 wrap up. If you haven't yet, go take a look at Part 1 - Sydney and Part 2 - Day to Day.

I was very lucky last year to be able to travel a lot overseas to some places I'd been to before and some which were entirely new. Travelling really is a lot of fun, and it's always very eye-opening; I find that I learn a lot. I have a lot of people I love living overseas, so it's always fun to visit them too!

(A small tip: if you just want to see the photos, click one and you can scroll through them.)

San Francisco


My company has offices all over the world, and I was fortunate enough to get a secondment to the SF office. I lived in SF for 4 months, and it's the longest I've been away from home. SF is a bit of a crazy place - it feels a lot like Sydney but also very different. Aside from finding my feet in a new city, I learned how to ride a bike in a city without freaking out, what good Mexican food tastes like, and how to use my shiny new NEX-6, which I bought over there for my birthday.

Day 28
Day 11

Day 43
Day 15
Day 29
Day 31
Day 30
I also did a quick side trip to San Diego for a weekend, which was lovely.

Day 36

Saigon


We opened up an office in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam mid year, so I did another overseas stint for a month. Saigon (as the locals call it) is pretty amazing - you have no idea what motorcycle traffic looks like until you've been there. Steph also came over for a long weeked and we had a blast running around eating and learning how to cook and just generally being tourists. In Saigon I again learned how to ride a bike in a city without freaking out - but a motorised one, this time, and only as a passenger. I also discovered how much better Pho can be, and that Vietnamese is an incredibly difficult language to learn!

Day 175
Day 195

Day 177
Day 182
Day 185
Day 197

Day 188
Day 184
I'd never been to Vietnam before, so after I was finished with work I headed up to Hanoi and Ha Long bay for a couple of days too, and over to Manila to visit some of my family.

Day 206
Day 207
Day 205

East Coast Road Trip


Toward the end of the year, Wes and I went on a road trip down the East Coast of North America and visited a lot of places I'd never been to. We started in Toronto, then made our way to Niagara Falls, Pennsylvania, Washington DC and then to North Carolina to visit Wes's family. I learned that Business Class is amazing, that massive waterfalls are breathtaking, that government shut downs suck (I really want to go back to DC and visit the museums!) and that I'm a massive chicken - I wanted to learn how to drive but then just never did. 

Day 262
Day 265
Day 266
Day 257

Project 365 - A Wrap Up


So, after 365 days and 361 photos (oops, missed a few days), here are the things I've learned about photography:

- Taking a photo every day is hard! There are some days when you do so much and see so many amazing things and can't decide which photo to choose, and some when it's such a commonplace day that it's difficult to find interesting things to photograph.
- Better cameras really do make a difference. However, they aren't the be all and end all - you can take amazing photos on your phone's camera, and some terrible ones on your shiny almost-SLR.
- Photos are fun! Every time I look over them again, it's great to have so many little snapshots of every day of the year.

I actually like having the little mini-diary so much that I'm half tempted to start another one of these, but the amount of effort  that was involved makes me a little hesitant. If you like what you've seen here, though, you can find me on Flickr and on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment